Thursday, May 1, 2014

I Think They're Calling for Rain

We're in the midst of a three day rainfall.  At times it's been pretty heavy, especially last night.  I woke up three times to the sound of the spare Main halyard slapping against the mast.  Actually went up on deck twice to secure it.  I guess the first time I didn't get enough slack out and two hours later when the wind changed direction a bit it was even worse.  I keep the halyard shackled to the mast pulpit and the conditions were just right last night to get that baby whipping around.  On my second trip up on deck I moved it further outboard to the hand rail.  That did the trick.  So in the end, instead of my usual 6.5 hours of sleep I got about 4 and also got drenched twice.  That's right, I'm too lazy at 0300 to put on my foul weather gear.  Fun night.  Life on a boat.


This morning when I climbed up to the cockpit to go to work I found the creek was up pretty high, almost to the decking of the dock.  I think I earned a Bronze in gymnastics for getting off the boat.  At the end of our dock is a nice picnic area where Bella likes to run around.  She would probably need water wings today.

We have seen it higher here.  About four years ago we drove into Annapolis to get some ice cream (B-R's mint chocolate chip) and when we came back the water was just over the decking on the dock.  Felt like we were walking on water, kinda eerie.  The boat was sitting so high I fell in the creek trying to get aboard.  Shortly after that we bought that cool-man step you can see on the side of the boat in the first picture.  But I'm pretty sure that was in the middle of a tropical storm.  This is just a good old fashioned rainstorm, nothing unusual.  The wind seemed to be blowing out of the NE which is kinda weird because we usually only get flooded when it blows outa the S or SE.  There might be something else going on here.  Maybe Greenland melted down last night!  Or the poles reversed causing the earth to tilt and all the water rushed over to one side!  This is up about 3' higher than normal where the deck of our boat would be level with the dock.  If the global warming dudes are right it's gonna go up at least another 3' beyond this.  Good thing we're on a boat.


No comments: